Champions of Character Award: Nomination Procedure
- You may nominate 1 person from each category: youth sport athlete; high school athlete; youth sport coach; high school coach; youth sport leader; official; team of character; parents; fantastic fan; lifetime achievement award.
- The nomination form (on the reverse side of this form) must be signed by the person who is nominating and the high school athletic director or the chief administrator for the youth sport (Community Recreation Director, or Director of organizations like PYSA, Little League, Pop Warner Football, Youth Hockey, Swim Team, Etc). Parents can add letters of affirmation but should not be the primary nominator.
Nominees with the following support material will be given preferential consideration:
- How the nominee intentionally demonstrates character values or teaches them.
- A list of community recognitions and involvements.
- A minimum of 1 letter of support (3 maximum) in addition to the letter of nomination.
- This material must be attached to the nomination form.
Criteria for Selection
Nominees must be clearly outstanding as follows:
- All Nominees: Embracing the 6 pillars of character – Trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and citizenship.
- Coaches and Sport Leaders: teaching, encouraging and rewarding good character through sport.
- 1 year participation as an athlete; 3 years of service for a coach, official or parent.
- Applications that are incomplete or that are not received or postmarked by April 28, 2017 will not be considered.
- The Selection Committee will select the winners by May 3, 2017.
- Candidates will be notified of the selections by letter and by phone and winners will also be announced in the Petoskey News Review and other area papers in May.
Nature of the Award
- An engraved plaque will be presented to the winners at the Awards dinner, held Monday, June 12 at the Emmet County Fairgrounds Community Building.
- Each winner will be given their ticket and 2 complimentary tickets to the dinner.
- Each award winner is expected to attend the Awards Dinner and dress appropriately.
- Award winners will be expected to give a short acceptance speech and guidance will be available for preparing those comments.
- Each nominee who did not win an award will be given a certificate of recognition following the banquet for it is an honor to be nominated as Champions of Character. The nominee is also eligible for nomination again the following year.
- At this time, there is no financial award or scholarship attached to the award.
For more information, call 989-858-1943.