Champions of Character Award: Nomination Procedure
- You may nominate 1 person from each category: youth sport athlete; senior high school athlete (one male, one female will be awarded); youth sport coach; high school coach; youth sport leader; official; team of character; parents; fantastic fan; lifetime achievement award.
- The nomination form (can be downloaded from this site) must be signed by the person who is nominating and the high school athletic director or the chief administrator for the youth sport (Community Recreation Director, or Director of organizations like PYSA, Little League, Pop Warner Football, Youth Hockey, Swim Team, Etc). Parents can add letters of affirmation but should not be the primary nominator.
Nominees with the following support material will be given preferential consideration:
- How the nominee intentionally demonstrates character values or teaches them.
- A list of community recognitions and involvements.
- Letter of support in addition to the letter of nomination.
- Senior High School Athlete Nominees must submit 300-500 words explaining how sports have impacted them and explaining what it would mean to be this year’s Champion of Character to be eligible for the $1,000 Continued Education Scholarship.
- This material must be attached to the nomination form.
Criteria for Selection
Nominees must be clearly outstanding as follows:
- All Nominees: Embracing the 6 pillars of character – Trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and citizenship.
- Coaches and Sport Leaders: teaching, encouraging and rewarding good character through sport.
- 1 year participation as an athlete; 3 years of service for a coach, official or parent.
- Applications that are incomplete or that are not received or postmarked by April 24, 2020 will not be considered.
- The Selection Committee will select the winners by May 15, 2020.
- Candidates will be notified of the selections by letter and by phone and winners will also be announced in the Petoskey News Review and other area papers in May.
Nature of the Award
- An engraved plaque will be presented to the winners at the Awards dinner, held Monday, June 8 at 6:00 PM at the Iron Horse Cafe at North Central Michigan College.
- Each winner will be given their ticket and 2 complimentary tickets to the dinner.
- Each award winner is expected to attend the Awards Dinner and dress appropriately.
- Award winners will be expected to give a short acceptance speech and guidance will be available for preparing those comments.
- Each nominee who did not win an award will be given a certificate of recognition following the banquet for it is an honor to be nominated as Champions of Character. The nominee is also eligible for nomination again the following year.
For more information, call 989-858-1943.